What We Believe
Our Mission Statement
As a Presbyterian family, we are an imperfect people seeking to serve a perfect God. We believe we experience God’s grace through worship, study, and mission work. We seek inspiration, education and guidance that is Christ-centered and Biblically based. We seek to glorify God in word and in deed, and share the His love with our neighbors near and far.
The Presbyterian Church
God comes to us in free and undeserved favor in the person of Jesus Christ who lived, died, and rose for us that we might belong to God and serve Christ in the world. Following Jesus, Presbyterians are engaged in the world and in seeking thoughtful solutions to the challenges of our time.
Presbyterians affirm that God comes to us with grace and love in the person of Jesus Christ, who lived, died, and rose for us so that we might have eternal and abundant life in him. As Christ’s disciples, called to ministry in his name, we seek to continue his mission of teaching the truth, feeding the hungry, healing the broken, and welcoming strangers. God sends the Holy Spirit to dwell within us, giving us the energy, intelligence, imagination, and love to be Christ’s faithful disciples in the world.
In 1831, Indiana was the edge of the frontier. The first settler took up land in Ross Township in 1828. The area’s first gathering of Presbyterians for worship was held three years later at the home of Samuel Seawright, about one and one half miles northwest of Rossville. In 1834 nineteen settlers met on the Middlefork of the Wildcat Creek to form a Middlefork Presbyterian Church. Their first building built of logs was actually just north of the county line in Carroll County on Prince William Road. In 1838 the congregation moved to Rossville and held services in the schoolhouse until a frame building was constructed at 61 W. Main St. In 1844 the Presbytery formally changed the name of the church to Rossville Presbyterian Church as it has remained since.
In 1887, a brick building was built on the site at 61 W. Main St. The building served the congregation well for over 110 years although improvements were added along the way.
In 1996 a committee was appointed to study whether to expand the current church building or build a new structure. Accessibility was a key issue. Eight months later the doors of the old church were symbolically locked and worship began at our current site. We are very proud of the fact that through the efforts of everyone, we were able to burn our mortgage in December of 2007. Read the complete history.
The church historian maintains a complete history of the Rossville Presbyterian Church including a listing of pastors who have served the church.